Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Run Baby Run


photo by Thomas Hawk
As a child I hated to run in school. More importantly, I hated to lose. Especially to the cute, popular pig-tailed, Debbie. A girl who had the ability to run around the elementary track with ease and grace and always first.

I would watch as her two braids play chase each other behind her back and the rubber-banded ends lightly touched at her waist. Okay, I might have been obsessed with her hair, also. It was just so long.

photo by Sugar T

There was one time when I actually came in first and just when I was about to share the glory with the coach when she mentioned she was feeling sick and that's why I won.

B*****.

Okay, I'm over it.

I want to run again. I want the carefree abandonment I received before Debbie, before mom's smoking made life polluted and stinky, before having kids, yada, yada, ya.

About a month before I started my juice feast, I decided to give running a try on the treadmill. I would walk for 5 minutes, run for 1 minute. I would increase the running time every week, depending on my energy level.

I continued to do this through the feast, which worked to my advantage because I had wicked crazy energy.

When I completed the juice feast I was able to run 30 minutes straight on the treadmill without stopping. Yeah me! I'm a runner!

Not quite.

With the weather warming up a bit, I wanted to test the legs outside. I can run on the treadmill so the park should be a breeze, right? Wrong! So very wrong.

I'm pretty much starting over. I'm learning how to become a runner. Why? Just cause.

I'm at the point of my life where I have the energy, stamina, drive, passion and confidence to make anything possible. photo by mrhayata I want to help that kid (the one I was) realized that running is something we can do again for the sheer enjoyment.

But I tell you what. It's hard. I walked 3 minutes, ran for 1 minute and the wind, cold and hard surface, kicked my butt.

During the 3 minute walk of recovery, I felt winded, frozen and jolted.

During the 1 minute walk, I felt energized, focused and free. I had a ball!

I had to push myself to run those last 10 seconds the first few times but after that it was "Kool and the Gang."
For the first time in a very long time I didn't think of anything but my feet touching the ground.
I can't wait until Thursday when I do it all over again. photo by pinksherbet

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You almost make running (something I've never been into) sound like fun!

When I was reading about your childhood memories and that girl saying she wasn't feeling well that day, I wanted to give you a huge hug! *HUG*

Lots of love to you!

Wendi
XOXOXO

loulou said...

Hey Terilynn

I never thought, as a 40 year old, overweight, asthmatic, that I'd be able to run, but I started running last year, coached by my marathon-runner husband. He set me up with a training programme, which sounds similar to what you're doing, so it might be of interest. Check this out: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml It really worked for me (I did repeat some weeks until I was ready to move on.)
I know what you mean about the freedom running gives you. I love running round our local park on a bright Spring morning, with the deer in the distance, families on bikes, sun on my face... amazing feeling.
Keep at it, girl. Looking forward to seeing your progress :D
love,
loulou xxx

Terilynn said...

Wendi dee,

I feel ya sista. I was there for a minute. But once I started running I didn't want to stop.

Loulou,
Thank you for the link. I'm glad you mentioned you repeated weeks until you were comfortable to move on. I am all for pushing myself to the limit but there isn't a rush to go there. I want to be able to run without injury and without becoming burning out.

Peace and love to you both,
Terilynn

Runnerchiq... said...

Hi! I stumbled across your blog and wanted to leave a note. I'm so happy for you that you a) are at that point in your life where you feel like you can accomplish anything and b) are taking up running...AND enjoying it!

I am at the same point in my life as well, and it is liberating when you realize that literally, the sky is the limit. I read The Alchemist not too long ago, and that was a true book of inspiration and realization. Second, I have been a runner since I was about 10 years old, and truly, nothing opens up my mind, heart, lungs, and soul more than that time each day when my feet hit the pavement in perfect rhythm.

Happy running!

Disclaimer: This site is for informational purposes only. The author is not a medical doctor or trained nutritionist and is not responsible for any consequences regarding your use or intended use of any information provided on this site. Always check with your medical professional or trained nutritionist before making any changes to your diet or lifestyle regarding your health.